MOA: Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor H+K+ATPase of the Parietal gastric cell. Omeprazole markedly inhibits basal and stimulated gastric acid secretion. It has unique mode blocking proton pump of parietal cells which is the terminal stage in the acid secretory pathway.
Pharmacology & Brands Available:
Brands/ Trade names of Omeprazole in Kenya
Asid®, Astra lifecare (India) Pvt.Ltd.
Dawapraz®, Dawa Limited
Gasec®, Acino Pharma AG
Ocid®,Cadila Healthcare Limited
OM® ,Lab & Allied Ltd
Omecer®, PDH Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Ltd
Omecos®, Cosmos Limited
Omeflux®, Biodeal Laboratories Ltd
Omegut®, Popular Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Omegut Injection®, Popular Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Omemark®, Marksans Pharma Limited
Omemark 40 Injection®, Marksans Pharma Limited
Omenix®, Incepta Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Omep®, Orange Pharma Limited
Omepraglobe®, Globela Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
Omepraz® ,Macleods Pharmaceuticals Limited
Omesk®, S.Kant Healthcare Ltd
Omicap®, Micro Labs Ltd
Omfil®,Fourrts (India) Laboratories Pvt. Limited
Omipin® ,Brawn Laboratories Ltd.
Omis®,National Pharmacy Ltd
Omizec®, sanofi-aventis Kenya
Omizec® 40mg/ml inj, sanofi-aventis Kenya
Omlink®, Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Ompra®, Zawadi Healthcare Ltd
OMZ® , Shambhuprasad and Sons
Onpraz® , Crown Healthcare
Proceptin®, Beximco Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Prohibin®, Leben Laboratories PVT Ltd
Pylomex®, Innocia Lifesciences Pvt. Ltd.
Risek®, Getz Pharma (Pvt) Limited
Rivaprazole®, Riva Pharma
Seclo®, Square Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Ulzol®, Universal Corporation Limited
Uprone®,Bliss GVS Pharma Ltd.
Zep®, Asence Pharma Private Limited
Zocid®, Zest pharma
Zosec®, Emcure Pharmaceutical Limited
Omeprazole is a white to off-white crystalline powder that melts with decomposition at about 155°C. It is a weak base, freely soluble in ethanol and methanol, and slightly soluble in acetone and isopropanol and very slightly soluble in water. The stability of omeprazole is a function of pH; it is rapidly degraded in acid media but has acceptable stability under alkaline conditions.
- Duodenal ulcers
- Gastric ulcers:
- Reflux oesophagitis;
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Patients with known hypersensitivity to Omeprazole.
Renal insufficiency: the bioavailability of Omeprazole is not significantly modified
Hepatic insufficiency: the area below the curve is increased and the elimination slows down: one dose of
Omeprazole 20mg is usually sufficient in these patients.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION:
Currently, there is no sufficient data to evaluate a possible malformation or fetotoxic effect of this drug when it is administered during pregnancy. Consequently, as a measure of precaution, it is preferable to avoid it during pregnancy. Due to the absence of studies on the excretion of Omeprazole into breast milk, Omeprazole should not be used during
- The plasma concentrations of Omeprazole and, Clarithromycin are increased when they are administered concomitantly.
- Concomitant use of atazanavir and nelfinavir with proton pump inhibitors is not recommended. Co-administration of atazanavir with proton pump inhibitors is expected to substantially decrease atazanavir plasma concentrations and may result in a loss of therapeutic effect and the development of drug resistance.
- Co-administration of saquinavir with proton pump inhibitors is expected to increase saquinavir concentrations, which may increase toxicity and require dose reduction.
- Omeprazole can prolong the elimination of diazepam, warfarin and phenytoin, drugs that are metabolized by oxidation in the liver.
- Drugs known to induce CYP2C19 or CYP3A4 (such as rifampin) may lead to decreased omeprazole serum levels.
SIDE EFFECTS OF OMEPRAZOLE IN KENYA
Diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, dizziness have been reported.
Skin eruptions, urticarias or isolated pruritus have also been reported.
- Eradication of Helicobacter pylori in case of gastroduodenal ulcer:
1 capsule of Omeprazole 20mg morning and evening in association with Clarithromycin 500 mg morning and evening and to Tinidazole 500 mg morning and evening during 7 days. This tri-drug therapy will be followed by 20 mg of Omeprazole 20mg per day during 3 additional weeks in case of severe duodenal ulcer or 3 to 5 additional weeks in case of severe gastric ulcer. The efficacy of the treatment depends on adhering to the tri drug therapy for 7 days.
- Duodenal ulcers:
1 capsule of Omeprazole 20mg per day for 2 weeks.
- Gastric ulcers:
1 capsule of Omeprazole 20mg per day for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Reflux oesophagitis:
1 capsule of Omeprazole 20mg per day or 4 weeks; with a possible second treatment of 4 weeks, same dosage, depending on the endoscopic results.
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome:
The recommended dosage is of 60mg once a day.